Full width home advertisement

Travel the world

Climb the mountains

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

One film per weekend. These are my recommendations.

IDA (2014)  

Plot: In Poland, Anna is a novice, an orphan raised by nuns. Before she takes her vows, she goes in a journey to see Wanda, her only living relative. Both women embark on a journey not only to discover their tragic family story, but who they really are and where they belong, questioning their religions and beliefs.

   

 I fell in love with this film. Every image is poetry, in every scene I kept thinking how beautiful it is. The story is simple but beautiful. The black-and-white is breathtaking. I read somewhere "Ida is that breath of fresh air one needs after seeing too many films that all look the same." and I completely agree. I couldn't stop watching and the performances leave me speechless (they are that good). I don't like big reviews that over analyse films, I'm only here to suggest you this, not exactly reviewing.


 TWO DAYS ONE NIGHT (2014)

Plot: Sandra has only one weekend to convince her colleagues they must give up their bonuses in order for her to keep her job — not an easy task in this economy.

 

It's quite modest and extremely realistic, filmed in a simplistic way it works perfectly for what it wants to represent, making us feel right next to that woman. The moral and social part has great weight in story, it becomes a study of humans and their behavior. Marion Cotillard is such a talented and powerful actress, she is the reason why the film is so good. This film will make you think about what would you do in that situation, you'll question your values and appreciate kindness even more.

 FAILAN (2001) 

 Plot: Failan emigrates to Korea but once she reaches it, she is forced to have an arranged marriage through a match-making agency to stay and make a living in there.

   

This is such a sad film, jesus christ. It's really touching and excellently performed. I don't want to reveal too much because I watched without almost knowing anything and I had a nice surprise. At first I just wanted to know Korean cinema a bit better, I ended up shocked with the cruelty of life. Yes, I'm still in a "I can't believe it" state. 

THE IMITATION GAME (2014) 

Plot: Based on the real life story of Alan Turing, the film portrays the race against time by Turing and his team of code-breakers at Britain's top-secret Government Code and Cypher School at Bletchley Park, during World War II.

 

Two reasons why you should watch this: Benedict Cumberbatch and Alan Turing himself. First of all, we should all know who he is and what he did for humanity, we should know how he felt and how he was treated. Although the film doesn't explore his life in the best way (focusing instead more on espionage/romance - I certainly feel they took the story to the commercial side of it), he must be remembered. And Benedict, he is such a powerful actor... 


 Have a nice month!

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib